Saturday, November 19, 2011

Twenty-Seven

#27: I'll miss roof-top conversations with my friend Megan and a pitcher of vino and chirimoya.
One of my closest friends in Chile is the lovely Megan Mills-Novoa and we have a pretty amazing time together. We hang out on a regular basis and one of our favorite things to do is share a magical drink called vino and chirimoya while talking about our life plans and the latest celebrity gossip (both U.S. and Chilean). This drink consists of (cheap) white wine and some frozen chirimoya puree. It is a delicious fruit (not commonly grown in the States) that is delightfully sweet and excellent when combined with wine. It's seeds are incredibly toxic if chewed and it's skin contains chemicals that can cause paralysis, so basically I'm living on the wild side every time I eat one.

#27: I can't wait to go to happy hour and drink some hoppy beer.
Some of you may know that I took a brewing class in college and this has turned out to be both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that I understand the effort and creativity it takes to brew a great beer, and the curse is that I no longer tolerate bad beer. Unfortunately the majority of Chilean beers fall into the category of weak-sauce beers. They under-utilize hops and the micro-brews that do exist are pretty expensive. I cannot wait to go to Deschutes or Thirsty Lion and buy myself a quality brew.

1 comment:

  1. I'll drink a Deschutes Jubelale tonight in your honor :)

    ReplyDelete