Well it's official, I have one month left in Chile. It's hard to believe that of the 291 days of my Fulbright grant, I only have 30 to go. This experience has been been filled with its ups and downs, but the last 4 months especially have been pretty "up." My lofty goal is to post one thing I've enjoyed about Santiago/Chile and one thing I've been missing about the States each day until I leave. I'm in the process of analyzing the data from all of my student surveys, classroom observations, and teacher interviews so I think I'll need a little break. :)
#30: Having the ability to buy spices and baking ingredients in small amounts.
I know this sounds really silly, especially in the U.S. culture of buying in bulk, but as a person living on their own it is lovely to be able to buy a tiny amount of chili powder or cinnamon for the one recipe that I'm making. Even more amazing is that I can buy individual eggs for baking! For those of you who don't know, I hate eggs and only use them in dire circumstances. In fact just this morning I went to the mom-and-pop store next door and bought two eggs and a cube of margarine for a batch of banana bread.
#30: Tillamook Cheddar Cheese
I never realized how much Tillamook Cheddar cheese enriched my life until I lived nearly a year without it! I would say that it's one of the things us Fulbrighters miss the most. Even my friend from the east coast knows about Tillamook. I feel so proud of Oregon! Anyway, in honor of Tillamook Cheddar cheese, I have been following the blog grilled cheese social and hope to make every one of these delicious recipes when I get back.
Hope you're all having a great week!
Love, Krista
No comments:
Post a Comment