After my emotions settled down a bit, I started to think logically about how my time in Chile is progressing and I came to the conclusion that something has to change with my research. I have been trying my hardest to view what I'm doing at the research center through an optimistic lens, but realize now that this mindset is actually preventing me from reaching my goals. I came to Chile with the goal of working with middle school and high school-aged students to try and discover how teachers can reduce the gender stereotypes that exist in math classes. But really, I am no closer to that goal than when I first arrived. I think that unfortunately, the research team is extremely preoccupied with their new project and have little time to help me with my own investigation. It may sound selfish, but I feel like I gave up a lot to come to Chile and I want this experience to be worth it! It doesn't do me any good to work partial hours on a project that doesn't interest me when I could be home teaching in my own math classroom. So, that being said, the search for a new professor has begun. My plan is to send out some e-mails this week to potential advisers and see who has an interest in working with me. I promise to keep you all posted on what happens, but I think it's still going to take a little bit to make the switch.
Whew! Now that I've told you all of the heavy stuff I can finally tell you about all of the amazing things that have been happening in the rest of life. I'm continuing to love my new apartment and Karina is like the big sister I never had. We talk just about every night...about school, our favorite words in English and Spanish, Chilean politics, and life in general. The other night we looked at the clock and realized we had talked until 1:30 in the morning! She's starting making a list of all of the Chilean foods that I have to try before I leave so we're planning on eating at a different restaurant every month to fit them all in. I'm also planning on cooking some classic American dishes for Karina to try before she heads to the States.
The last bit of exciting news I have to share involves the Disco Mary Adventure Race that I participated in this past weekend. We found out about the race from a group of Americans living in Chile who organized the race and decided to form a team and have a go at it. The race included 6 teams (all Americans hahaha) and was a giant scavenger hunt through Santiago. There were about eight events total, but these were my favorites:
-We had to run to a park and "baptize" two of your team members in an algae-infested pond while members of the Chilean police were yelling that the pond was off-limits! Luckily the race coordinator was there and explained to the carabineros that it was for a competition and asked kindly that they not arrest us. :)
-Two team members had to ride bikes (mine was a heavy cruiser) to the top of the big hill in the city and take a picture with the statue of the Virgin Mary. This was quite possibly the most difficult bike ride of my entire life and at times I was going so slow around some of the corners that I actually thought I was just going to fall over from lack of momentum. Plus it didn't help that I was wearing a silly costume (see pictures below) and was getting quite irritated by the number of laughs that the Chileans were throwing our way.....as if climbing 2700 ft. on a slow bike is an easy task.
-The last main event was a photo scavenger hunt that the whole team had to participate in. We had to find statues, write down the address of famous restaurants, and even give a random Chilean bunny ears while taking a picture. People were definitely amused to see so many gringos running through the streets.
Needless to say it was awesome, but very tiring. We didn't win, but had an excellent time and were given food and a drink as part of our entrance fee. Here are some pictures of our all-star team:
| Half of Team Fulbright! |
| Instead of team numbers we each had an element from the periodic table. |
| NERDS! |
| After we finally made it to the top of the hill. |
I realize that this is a really long post and I hope that some of you chose to just skim through it....because the truth is this blog is just as much therapy for me as it is informative for you and I don't expect you all to read (with interest) about my personal struggles here. I miss you all, but realize what a great impact you have had on shaping my life! I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart as I continue to find my purpose here.
Love, Krista
KRISTA!! i love your blog. you are pwning it up down there. i hope you find what you are looking for. lemme know what i can do lady luck!
ReplyDeletePersonal struggles are part of any big decision and adventure in life. Hope it starts getting easier and you find the right fit for your research to help keep your drive alive.
ReplyDeleteP.S. - Dean really liked your "costume", you got some big smiles from him as he looked at the pictures with me :)
Hi Krista, We all enjoy reading your message. I can't wait to see a new posting. I do hope some things are getting resolved, it's hard to be frustrated.
ReplyDeleteWe are still having cold and wet weather. ugh
Because of my eye surgery, I haven't done much of anything this past winter, so now I am going through rooms/garage and digging out old stuff and filling up my barrels :-)
I had a 97 yr old brother in law who passed away this week. He served his time. He married my eldest sister.
The NEWS reports that we had 3 small earthquakes tonight. :-( Hope that isn't leading to something BIGGER.
It's past my bedtime, I need all the beauty sleep I can get :-)
Love and hugs to you Krista, GJ
Struggles, adventures and a big scavenger hunt? It sounds like you're living in full color, Krista. I hope your research is a bit more situated, since that was your primary reason for going there. Still, enjoy all the sights along the way!
ReplyDeleteLast weekend, Elise and I went to Western Washington University for a campus visit. She's been accepted to the art programs at both WWU and U of O and will need to make her decision soon. I think she's leaning towards WWU. She's become quite the little artist. You can take a peek at her online portfolio at www.eliseschalk.weebly.com
We're finally getting a glimpse of spring weather. Today it got to the mid 50's, no rain, and it felt like summer! It's supposed to be nice the rest of the week, too, which is a welcome change. I hope you have a great week and a very nice Easter weekend.
Love, Aunt Bev
"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant." -Anne Bradstreet